'My heart breaks every day': Mother of Kamloops murder victim questions delay in justice

The man gunned down in Kamloops in 2019 in what police now say was a case of mistaken identity loved his kids and riding his Harley, his family says, and was in no way involved in organized crime.

The mother of a beloved father of two who was gunned down in a case of mistaken identity is questioning the delay in getting justice for her son.

Rex Edward Gill, 41, was standing outside the Comfort Inn & Suites Hotel in Kamloops, B.C., on the morning of Jan. 23, 2019, when he was shot while having a smoke.

Gill hails from Penticton and had recently been laid off from the oil patch in northern Alberta. He was in Kamloops doing a siding job for a friend.

Read more:
‘I lost my baby’ — Family of B.C. man gunned down in case of mistaken identity speaks out

His two sons, 16-year-old Dawson and 18-year-old Dayton, are now growing up without their father.

“My heart breaks every day,” said Gill’s mother, Marie Nobles.

“He was a wonderful, loving man. He had the biggest heart.”

On Feb. 19, 2019, Kamloops RCMP held a news conference to announce that they were investigating Gill’s murder as a possible case of mistaken identity.

Police said suspects were identified and serious crime unit investigators were treating it as a priority investigation.

But nearly three years later, no arrests have been made.

Read more:
Condolences pour in for Penticton man shot dead in Kamloops

“We are still waiting for the court to read through all the paperwork that the police have put in so that they will approve a warrant for the arrest of the man who murdered Rex.”

Gill’s murder occurred two hours after 31-year-old Cody Mathieu was fatally shot outside the Super 8 motel in Kamloops’ Valleyview neighbourhood.

Mathieu was known to police, who say he had ties to the city’s drug trade. Police said Gill was not known to them.

Friends and family are now organizing the third annual Rex Gill Memorial Ride to raise money for charity and to keep Gill’s memory alive.

Motorcyclists are invited to meet at the Ooknakane Friendship Centre in Penticton on Saturday, Sept. 25, for a breakfast at 8:30 a.m.

Read more:
Kamloops shootings ‘were targeting specific people,’ police say

Participants will then ride along Highway 97 to Konquer Motorcycles in Kelowna.

Attendees are asked to bring non-perishable food items for the Penticton and Kelowna food banks and to make a monetary donation to the Gospel Mission.

The poster promoting the third annual Rex Gill Memorial Ride on Saturday, Sept. 25, 2021.

The poster promoting the third annual Rex Gill Memorial Ride on Saturday, Sept. 25, 2021.

Submitted

“Doing this ride helps give us some focus,” Nobles said.

“We are doing something to bring Rex’s name back out so the Kamloops court will know that he is not forgotten. We are still waiting.”

Rex Gill pictured with his sons when they were young.

Rex Gill pictured with his sons when they were young.

The ride will also honour the life of Michael Edward Courtney, who died in a crash while returning home from Kelowna during last year’s memorial event.

Global News has reached out to the Kamloops RCMP and the BC Prosecution Service for an update on Gill’s case.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

LRT memorandum of understanding signed at Hamilton City Hall

Hamilton’s LRT project has taken another step forward.

A brief ceremony was held Wednesday morning inside of city hall, where a memorandum of understanding (MOU) was formally signed by city and provincial representatives.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger, Transportation Minister Caroline Mulroney and Metrolinx CEO Phil Verster all signed the document, which will leave the city responsible for operating and daily maintenance costs along the 14-kilometre LRT line.

The federal and provincial governments have each committed $1.7 billion towards the cost of construction.

Read more:
City councillors vote to sign agreement to build Hamilton LRT line

Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas Liberal MP Filomena Tassi was also on hand for the signing.

Early stages of construction, including underground utility work, are expected to begin in 2022 along the LRT line, which will run between McMaster University and Eastgate Square.

Hamilton city council voted, 11-3, earlier this month to sign the MOU.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Hamilton's top doc hopeful Ontario's proof of vaccination will lead to shots in more arms

Hamilton’s medical officer of health believes with the province’s vaccine certificate program now in effect as of Wednesday, the city’s lagging vaccination rate among those aged 18 through 39 will get a ‘boost.’

“We do anticipate that that’s going to happen,” Richardson told 900 CHML’s Good Morning Hamilton.

“Certainly what we’ve seen is where we’re sitting at, about 50 per cent of the vaccines that we’re giving at this stage are first doses.”

As of Sept. 22, residents 12 and older in the province need to show proof of vaccination or proof of a legitimate medical exemption when entering some indoor public settings, including restaurants, bars, clubs, concert venues, cinemas and sports venues.

Read more:
Ontario reports 463 new COVID-19 cases, smallest increase in five weeks

The proof comes in the form of a vaccination receipt and/or QR code, or a medical exemption with another piece of government-issued ID like a driver’s licence or passport.

Hamilton’s first dose rate among those aged 12-plus is 82.2 per cent as of Tuesday with second doses now at 75.5 per cent.

Among demographics tracked by public health, those aged 12 to 17 have seen the largest increase month over month (Aug. 20 through Sept. 20) in first and second doses with 8.11 and 10.48 per cent increases, respectively.

Meanwhile, shots for 18 through 39 are up 5.07 and 6.16 per cent for the same period.

About a third of the city’s 270 active cases as of Tuesday – 32.22 per cent – are among people aged 20 through 39.

Richardson says that group appears to have been putting off shots due to a lack of information or bad timing in their busy lives. She suggests the pressure of a certificate program will inspire and has been inspiring them to get fully vaccinated.

“They’re choosing to get vaccinated, and that is fantastic,” said Richardson.

“We know they need two doses to be well protected against the Delta virus. So encouraging them to get that second dose as soon as possible once they’re eligible, they, too, can get full immunity.”

Read more:
Ontario COVID-19 vaccine certificate program for many indoor public settings now in effect

Public health reported the city’s 411th COVID-19-related death on Wednesday tied to a person over 80.

The city revealed 25 new cases from Tuesday, but saw a drop in the current active case count, which moved from 293 to 270 day over day.

Hamilton’s seven-day average number of cases also went down ever so slightly by one to 35.

Week over week, the percent positivity rate – tracking the fraction of tests coming back positive for COVID – also dropped to 3.2 per cent from last weeks 4.8 per cent.

Hamilton’s hospitals have two fewer COVID-19 patients as of Wednesday and the number in intensive care (ICU) is down by one. There are a combined 39 patients with Hamilton Health Sciences (HHS) and St. Joe’s; 19 are in ICUs.

Read more:
Hamilton businesses prepare to enforce proof-of-vaccination policy ahead of provincial rollout

Three more outbreaks were declared on Sept. 21 at a workplace, school and daycare.

South Meadow Elementary School in Stoney Creek is the latest school to declare a surge tied to two students. There are now five Hamilton schools in outbreaks, with 12 total student cases and a single case in a staffer.

The other outbreaks are at CH Construction in the city’s east end with a pair of cases among workers and Kids & Company daycare in Waterdown with two patron cases.

There are 17 total outbreaks tied to 57 COVID-19 cases in Hamilton as of Wednesday.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Suspect in Lynn Valley Library stabbing faces more charges of attempted murder

Warning: This video contains disturbing content not suitable for all viewers. Discretion advised. North Vancouver RCMP say a man is in custody after multiple people were stabbed inside and outside of the Lynn Valley Library. BC Emergency Health Services says six people were taken to hospital.

The suspect in the multiple stabbings at the Lynn Valley Library in North Vancouver is facing more charges.

Yannick Bandaogo, 28, had already been charged with second-degree murder after six people were stabbed and a woman died from her injuries in the March 27 incident.

On Wednesday, police announced that Bandaogo was charged Sept. 16 with five additional counts of attempted murder and one count of aggravated assault.

Bandaogo has a criminal record with a history of violence in Quebec, according to the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team.

A motive in the attack has still not been released.

Read more:
Suspect in North Vancouver stabbings appears in court Thursday

“This was a tragic incident that has shaken all of us and we share the families and community’s grief and outrage. We want to acknowledge all the first responders and commend the civilians who cared for the injured,” Detective Cpl. Sukhi Dhesi of IHIT said in a release.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the IHIT Information Line at 1-877-551-IHIT (4448) or by email at ihitinfo@rcmp-grc.gc.ca.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

2 Calgary mayoral candidates lead the pack ahead of election: poll

With less than four weeks until Calgarians go to the polls to select a new city council and mayor, one poll is suggesting there are a pair of frontrunners for the person to sit in the middle of the horseshoe in council chambers.

A poll recently done by ThinkHQ showed councillors Jyoti Gondek and Jeromy Farkas would be the top two choices for Calgarians, if the municipal election were held tomorrow. (Read the full poll below.)

Farkas received 30 per cent of support from those polled online, and Gondek received 25 per cent. But 28 per cent of respondents were undecided.

Read more:
Kent Hehr drops out of Calgary mayoral race suspecting he has COVID-19

Coun. Jeff Davison came in third with six per cent, Kent Hehr — who withdrew Tuesday — and Brad Field had three per cent support each, and Jan Damery had two per cent.

The online survey done between Sept. 13 and 16 had 1,109 voting-aged Calgarians participate in the panel, randomly invited from the Angus Reid Forum. A comparable probability-based random sample of the same size would have a margin of error of 2.9 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

“It took a while, but with 26 days to go, Calgary’s mayoral race has finally become ‘hotly contested’,” said ThinkHQ president Marc Henry in a statement. “For months, the race showed little movement, but there’s been plenty in the past few weeks.”

Read more:
City auditor OKs Elections Calgary’s 2021 plans

Older adults, men, and voters living outside the city’s core were more likely to say they would vote for Farkas.

Voters who said they would choose Gondek are more likely to be younger, in the inner city and the northeast, and more women would vote for her than Farkas.

But undecided voters were more likely to be women and younger.

Read more:
Davison latest to release donor list for ‘transparency and trust’; Farkas calls it ‘laughable’

“Farkas has the benefit of time, i.e., there’s not much left; after all, the advance polls open on Oct. 4,” Henry said. “He also has a committed voter base which typically are more ‘dependable’ in terms of turning out.”

“Gondek has the benefit of momentum, more wind in her sails and greater growth potential in her vote share,” the pollster continued. “Kent Hehr’s decision to withdraw from the race likely most directly benefits Coun. Gondek’s prospects.”

Tuesday was the final day for candidates to withdraw their candidacy. Twenty-seven would-be mayors are hoping to get Calgarian’s votes, and 111 people are running for the remaining 14 seats on council.

Calgarians cast their ballots on Oct. 18.

View Link »

Calgary’s Mayor’s Race Tigh… by Adam Toy

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Liberal Lisa Hepfner projected to win a close race on Hamilton Mountain

Global News is projecting that former CHCH-TV reporter Lisa Hepfner will become the next MP for Hamilton Mountain days after the federal election decision was held up amid a tight race.

With Elections Canada now reporting close to 100 per cent of the votes accounted for as of Wednesday afternoon, Hepfner is expected to take 34 per cent of the vote in the riding beating the NDP’s Malcolm Allen who garnered 32.4 per cent.

Read more:
Election 2021: Muys, Collins new faces in Hamilton, one riding too close to call

It’s anticipated that Hepfner will win by just over 700 votes after the counting of 2,600 mail-in ballots that started on Tuesday.

More to come.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

COVID-19: N.S. top doctor says 'don't wait' to get vaccinated as 19 new cases reported

Gyms are one of the sectors that will soon require COVID-19 proof of vaccination in Nova Scotia but many owners say they’re still waiting for clear direction from the province on how to safely and securely implement the mandate. Alexa MacLean reports.

Nova Scotia reported 19 new cases of COVID-19 and 29 new recoveries on Wednesday.

The number of active cases has dropped to 127, down by 10 since Tuesday, though one more person is now in hospital for a total of 10.

In a release, the province said 14 of the new cases are in the Central Zone. Five are close contacts of previously-reported cases and nine are under investigation.

Read more:
Nova Scotia gym owners say province still hasn’t answered their vaccine policy questions

The province continues to say there are signs of community spread in that zone in people “aged 20 to 40 who are unvaccinated and participating in social activities.”

Dr. Robert Strang, chief medical officer of health, said the majority of new cases continues to be among people who are not fully vaccinated.

“Vaccination is the absolute best way to protect yourself and those around you,” he said in the release. “To everyone who is fully vaccinated — thank you. To all those who are not — please don’t wait.”

Read more:
Prince Edward Island to impose COVID-19 vaccine passport starting Oct. 5

There are also two cases in the Northern Zone, both of whom are close contacts of previously-reported cases.

Two cases are in the Eastern Zone. One is a close contact of a previously-reported case and one is under investigation.

The last case is in the Western Zone and is under investigation.

Nova Scotia Health labs completed 4,182 tests on Tuesday.

According to the provincial COVID-19 dashboard, 79.7 per cent of Nova Scotians have received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine and 73.8 are fully vaccinated.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Rihanna Says ‘I’m Really Experimenting’ On New Album: ‘You’re Not Going To Expect’ It

Rihanna’s next album will be an entirely new experience for fans.

Rihanna superfans have been patiently (or impatiently) waiting for the superstar’s long-awaited ninth studio album. The Barbados-born singer has been busy turning her fashion brand Fenty into a powerhouse, but some people are desperate for new music.

RELATED: Rihanna Rolls Out Hollywood Red Carpet For ‘Savage X Fenty Show Vol. 3’

The nine-time Grammy-winner offered an update on her next music project when speaking with the Associated Press at her latest Savage X Fenty lingerie show.

“You’re not going to expect what you hear. Just put that in your mind,” Rihanna told reporters. “Whatever you know of Rihanna is not going to be what you hear. I’m really experimenting, and music is like fashion, you should be able to play.

RELATED: Rihanna Hits The Open Road In RIMOWA Ad

“I should be able to wear whatever I want. I treat music the same way. So I’m having fun and it’s going to be completely different.”

Rihanna has not released a full-length album since 2016’s Anti, her chart-topping album that also topped multiple Best Album lists.

© 2021 Entertainment Tonight Canada, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

North Bay police investigate anti-Semitic video taken at local school

NORTH BAY, Ont. — Police in North Bay, Ont., say they’re investigating a video that appears to show students involved in anti-Semitic behaviour at a local school.

The force says it is also investigating the circumstances that motivated that behaviour.

Read more:
4 people charged in death of 23-month-old child near North Bay, Ont.

A spokesman says officers were called to Ecole Secondaire Catholique Algonquin on Friday and says police are working to determine whether a crime related to hate, genocide, or incitement of hatred has occurred.

Police Chief Scott Todd says the video being investigated is “very disturbing.”

Todd says there is no place for hate and intolerance in North Bay.

Read more:
4 people charged in death of 23-month-old child near North Bay, Ont.

Local media report that cellphone video shows students on a field making a Nazi salute while chanting “Heil Hitler” and uttering expletives against Jewish people.

Police say students were spoken to by the force’s school resource officer and educated about hate crimes.

© 2021 The Canadian Press

Plan to kill invasive fish in New Brunswick watershed delayed until next year

Efforts to eradicate invasive smallmouth bass from New Brunswick’s Miramichi watershed have been put on hold until next year.

A working group has approval from Health Canada to use a product known as rotenone to kill the fish in Miramichi Lake, Lake Brook and along nearly 14 kilometres of the Southwest Miramichi River.

Read more:
Delay sought in Miramichi Lake smallmouth bass eradication

Over 120 people and supplies were in place for the operation in mid-August, but protesters in canoes refused to leave the area.

A number of meetings have been held with four Maliseet First Nations to answer questions about the plan.

Officials say it is now getting too late in the year, and the best choice is to delay the project until 2022.

Smallmouth bass, which were first spotted in the Miramichi watershed in 2008, can alter ecosystems by preying on native species of fish.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 22, 2021.

© 2021 The Canadian Press

You May Also Like

Top Stories