CIBC is launching a new logo for the first time in decades

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau promised on Wednesday to raise the corporate income tax rate by three percentage rates on earnings over $1 billion for Canada’s big banks and insurance companies, adding that the government would ask them to “do a little bit more” to help Canada on the path to recovery. He said Canada’s banks have “continued to be incredibly successful, including through a pandemic where everyone else had to tighten their belts.”

CIBC has unveiled its first new logo in almost 20 years as the bank looks to refresh its image.

The Toronto-based bank says the rebrand comes after it has expanded its platform across North America and is now focused on “meeting the needs and expectations of clients on both sides of the border.”

As part of its modernizations CIBC is also working to finish construction of CIBC Square, its new global headquarters in Toronto.

Read more:
CIBC profit surges nearly 50% in Q3, topping expectations

The bank says the new logo is inspired by its 1966 double-chevron logo that it created to celebrate the bank’s 100-year anniversary.

CIBC last updated its logo in 2003.

The bank says it will launch the new brand on Thursday and roll it out on banking products and locations over the coming year.

© 2021 The Canadian Press

5 new COVID-19 cases reported in Guelph, active cases fall to 107

Vaccine certificates will have to be presented at many non-essential indoor businesses starting Wednesday in Ontario. As Catherine McDonald reports, not all businesses are prepared.

Guelph’s public health unit is reporting five new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday, raising the city’s total case count to 4,988.

Active cases fell by 12 from the previous day to 107 with another 17 new recoveries. Total resolved cases climbed to 4,836 and the city’s coronavirus death toll remained at 45.

Read more:
Ontario COVID-19 vaccine certificate program for many indoor public settings now in effect

In Wellington County, four new cases have been confirmed as its case count climbed to 1,926.

Active cases have dropped to 35 in the county with eight new recoveries being reported. The death toll in the county related to the novel coronavirus remained at 39.

Across Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph, there are six people being treated in a hospital, including two in intensive care.

The Upper Grand and Wellington Catholic district school boards are reporting 14 cases among 11 schools in Guelph and Wellington County.

Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health is reporting that 81.7 per cent of residents over the age of 12 are now considered fully vaccinated, while 86.5 per cent have received one dose of vaccine.

In Guelph, 87.2 per cent of eligible residents are fully vaccinated and 92.1 per cent are partially vaccinated, while in Wellington County, 74.9 per cent are fully vaccinated and 79.1 per cent have received one dose.

So far this week, about 1,750 vaccines have been administered, including about 650 first doses, 1,000 second doses and about 40 third doses.

Read more:
Parent-led rapid COVID-19 testing program in Toronto school sparks interest in other communities

With students back in class, public health is publishing COVID-19 vaccination rates within the local high schools.

As of Wednesday, 75.7 per cent of secondary school students in the Upper Grand District School Board have been fully vaccinated, while 77.8 per cent have had two doses in the Wellington Catholic District School Board.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Suspect charged in connection with death of Toronto officer granted bail

WATCH ABOVE: Tributes for Toronto police Const. Jeffrey Northrup who was killed in the line of duty ten days ago. A full police funeral was held at BMO Field, attended by thousands of police and emergency workers. Sean O’Shea reports.

The 31-year-old man charged with first-degree murder in connection with the death of veteran Toronto police const. Jeffrey Northrup in July has been granted bail.

Umar Zameer will be released on a bail of $335,000 with conditions that he reside with his sureties, under electronic supervision.

It was early on July 2 when Northrup and his partner, who were in plainclothes at the time, responded to a “priority call” at the underground garage of Toronto City Hall. Police officials said the call was initially classified as a robbery call, but was subsequently upgraded to a stabbing.

Read more:
Toronto officer killed after being hit by vehicle in ‘deliberate’ act at city hall garage, police say

While the exact details surrounding the case haven’t been disclosed due to a publication ban, officers said Northrup was struck by a vehicle and was rushed to a downtown hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

Zameer was arrested and subsequently charged with first-degree murder. The allegations against him haven’t been proven in court.

In a virtual bail hearing Wednesday, Zameer appeared via zoom from the Toronto South Detention Centre where he has been housed since his arrested wearing an orange suit and mask and listened as a list of conditions was read out by the judge.

READ MORE: Thousands of officers attend Toronto’s BMO Field for funeral of Det. Const. Jeffrey Northrup

Zameer must remain in his residence at all times and will be under constant electronic supervision. He is permitted to leave with a surety only for the purposes of work, to meet with his lawyer, to attend a medical or dental appointment or to seek emergency medical care.

Zameer must also surrender his passport and is not permitted to leave the province of Ontario or attend any international airport or provincial border crossing.

He must not possess any weapons nor is he allowed to operate a motor vehicle.

Read more:
Lawyer for suspect charged in connection with death of Toronto officer asks public to keep ‘open mind’

Following the incident in July, Toronto Police Chief James Ramer called it an “intentional, deliberate attack.”

A funeral was held for Northrup at BMO field and was attended by thousands of various emergency services workers and officers.

Zameer’s lawyer has asked that the public “keep an open mind” and “not rush to judgment” as the case navigates through the court process.

Global News has reached out to Zameer’s lawyer for comment but he has yet to respond before time of publication

The case returns to court in October.

With files from Catherine McDonald

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Man living at home-based daycare in Marshall, Sask. faces sexual assault, child porn charges

RCMP calls it a “complex” and “heartbreaking” child pornography and sexual assault investigation at a home-based daycare in Saskatchewan.

Members of the Saskatchewan Integrated Child Exploitation Unit and the Maidstone RCMP searched a home in Marshall on July 14 after receiving a report from an online application that child pornography videos were uploaded to its platform.

Police said it was determined that a home-based daycare was being operated out of the home.

Read more:
Man faces sexual assault charge after Saskatoon police investigation

Investigators seized two cellphones and two laptops.

Saskatchewan’s ministry of education was notified of the search and suspended the daycare’s licence on July 16.

The devices were forensically examined during a complex investigation involving several specialized RCMP units. Investigators said they located images of unknown children being sexually assaulted by a man.

Joseph Sproull, 40, was arrested on Sept. 21. He was living at the home where the daycare was located.

Police said they are working to identify the children in the images and are meeting with the parents of the children who attended the daycare.

Investigators believe three young children were being assaulted in the photographs, but police said they are not releasing the specific age of the victims to protect their identity.

“This is an alarming, heartbreaking situation that affects the most vulnerable — young children,” said Supt. Vincent Foy, the officer in charge of the Saskatchewan RCMP major crime unit, in a statement Wednesday.

“We are doing everything in our power to identify all the victims affected by this terrible situation and provide everyone the support they need right now.”

Read more:
Police arrest Regina man for child pornography offences: ICE Unit

Sproull is facing three charges each of sexual assault, sexual interference and making available child pornography.

He is also facing possession of child pornography and distribution of child pornography charges.

Sproull was scheduled to appear in North Battleford provincial court on Wednesday morning.

Police said the investigation continues and they are working to determine if there are more victims.

“I can only imagine the anguish those affected are going through and the anxiety the whole community is facing,” Foy said.

“Rest assured all required resources are being dedicated to this investigation.”

RCMP said anyone who suspects they or their child may have been a victim, or may have any information, to contact investigators at 306-446-1615.

Anyone requiring support during the investigation should contact the Midwest Victim Services Program at 780-874-5021.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Quebec to table bill banning anti-vaccine protests outside hospitals, schools

Quebec is facing an urgent lack of nurses across the province. The premier said he was expecting nurses to come back from vacation this week but instead, many of them decided to stay home permanently. Global’s Raquel Fletcher reports.

Quebec’s premier will table a bill to clamp down on anti-COVID-19 vaccine protests in front of hospitals and schools.

François Legault told reporters at the National Assembly he will introduce the proposed legislation to his caucus Wednesday and then to the provincial legislature on Thursday.

“It makes no sense,” he said, referring to recent anti-vaccination protests.

Read more:
Quebec won’t rule out law to ban anti-vaccine protests outside schools, hospitals

Quebec’s three main opposition parties said earlier on Wednesday that it’s unacceptable that protesters are approaching children in an attempt to influence them against following pandemic-related health orders and getting vaccinated.

On Tuesday, the Liberals’ education critic said she had drafted her own bill and had sent it to the justice minister.

All three parties say they are ready to work with the government to adopt the law quickly.

The bill comes after Legault said earlier this week he was willing to use “whatever is necessary” to prevent people from disrupting students attending school or health-care workers entering hospitals.

with files from The Canadian Press

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Ottawa bus driver fully acquitted in fatal Westboro crash

A judge has found the driver involved in the 2019 fatal Westboro bus crash not guilty of all counts of dangerous driving.

Ontario Court Justice Matthew Webber read the verdict Wednesday morning in an Ottawa courtroom.

OC Transpo bus operator Aissatou Diallo, 44, had pleaded not guilty to three counts of dangerous driving causing death and 35 counts of dangerous driving causing bodily harm.

The double-decker bus crash at Westboro Station on Jan. 11, 2019, killed three people and injured dozens more.

The victims — 56-year-old Bruce Thomlinson, 57-year-old Judy Booth and 65-year-old Anja Van Beek — were all public servants.

The trial, which began in March of this year, lasted 10 weeks with closing arguments heard in June.

Read more:
Defence points to unclear road markings near Westboro bus crash as OC Transpo driver’s trial begins

More to come.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Investigation underway after teen sexually assaulted in Waterloo: police

Waterloo Regional Police say they are investigating after it was reported that a teen was sexually assaulted in Waterloo on Sunday night.

Police say the incident occurred shortly before 9 p.m. near the intersection of Caroline and William streets.

Read more:
Man faces attempt murder charge in relation to incident on Kitchener trail

They say a 15-year-old girl was walking in the area when a man approached her from behind and sexually assaulted her.

Police describe the suspect as around six feet tall with greying black hair and beard. He was said to be wearing a white button-up shirt and black dress pants and carrying a dark-coloured messenger bag.

Read more:
Kitchener man arrested in connection with recent road rage incident on Highway 85

They are continuing to investigate and are asking anyone with information to call 519-570-9777 ext. 8989 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

2 Calgary men charged in multi-million dollar fraud cause involving camping, cabin lots in B.C.

Two Calgary men have been charged in a multi-million dollar fraud case dating back to 2014.

In a news release Wednesday morning, the Calgary Police Service alleged two men fraudulently sold RV camping lots, cabin lots and dock spaces at a resort in British Columbia to numerous unsuspecting Calgarians.

Police say between 2014 and 2017, a man fraudulently sold RV park sites as the owner and operator of Sweetwater Resort, a land development project on the shores of Lake Koocanusa, B.C. Other names were used for the resort including Sweetwater RV Park and Sweetwater at Lake Koocanusa, according to the CPS.

Police said more than $2 million was obtained from multiple victims who believes they were purchasing legitimate lot and dock spaces.

Read more:
Calgary financial advisor charged with fraud after investors lose millions: RCMP

An investigation was launched when customers contacted police with suspicions about the legitimacy of the transactions. Police say customers grew wary when communication with the lot owner became infrequent.

Police said the investigation revealed the sales contracts from the RV park site transactions were invalid.

Sweetwater RV Park has since been ordered to close by the Regional District Office of East Kootenay.

Craig Douglas McMorran, 61, of Calgary, has been charged with two counts of fraud over $5,000, one count of money laundering and one count of theft over $5,000.

Police also allege McMorran sold dock spaces for boats in the marina called “boat slips” at the resort. The transactions were invalid because the slips were submerged on Crown land and could not be legally sold. In B.C., marina spaces can only be leased or rented, not sold.

As the investigation progressed, police believed that McMorran acted with an associate who was also allegedly participating in the fraudulent sales of cabin lots while acting as the sales manager for the resort between 2013 and 2016.

Read more:
Calgary police warn of extortion scams at Fraud Prevention Month launch

Calgary police urge people to research the company before buying and land or lot package, and have a lawyer look over contracts to ensure they’re legitimate.

“Finding out you are a victim of fraud can be devastating and can have lasting emotional and financial impacts,” Staff Sgt. Geoff Gawlinski said in a news release.

“We encourage anyone who believes they are a victim of any fraud to report it to police so we can investigate appropriately.”

Gus Kalabalikis, 53, of Calgary, has been charged with one count of theft over $5,000 and three counts of fraud over $5,000.

McMorran was arrested on Thursday, Sept. 16 in Calgary. He is scheduled to appear in court on Oct. 7.

Kalabalikis was arrested earlier this week and is scheduled to appear in court on Friday.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Netflix buys author Roald Dahl's entire catalogue of works

Netflix has acquired the works of Roald Dahl, the late British author of celebrated children’s books such as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

The video streaming giant said Wednesday that it acquired the Roald Dahl Story Co., which manages the rights to the author’s characters and stories. No financial terms were disclosed.

Read more:
Willie Garson dead: ‘Sex and the City’ actor dies at 57

The deal builds on a partnership struck in 2018 to create a slate of animated TV series, under which Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is getting a reboot by Academy Award-winning filmmaker Taika Waititi and Netflix is working with Sony on an adaptation of Matilda the Musical.

The new deal paves the way for Netflix to bring all of the author’s back catalogue to screens.

Read more:
‘Mystery woman’ found on Croatia shore identified as Daniela Adamcova of Slovakia

“These projects opened our eyes to a much more ambitious venture – the creation of a unique universe across animated and live action films and TV, publishing, games, immersive experiences, live theatre, consumer products and more,” Netflix Co-CEO Ted Sarandos and Luke Kelly, managing director of the Roald Dahl Story Co. and Dahl’s grandson, said in a joint statement.

Dahl died in 1990 at the age of 74 but his books, which also include The BFG, The Twits and Fantastic Mr. Fox, remain popular with young readers, with more than 300 million copies sold worldwide and translations in 63 languages.

© 2021 The Canadian Press

Flooding possible for Lake Simcoe region, conservation authority says

Flooding of low-lying areas in the Lake Simcoe region is possible as widespread rain is expected over the next number of days, the local conservation authority said Wednesday.

A large, slow-moving frontal system is expected to enter the Lake Simcoe watershed Wednesday night and through Thursday. It’s predicted to add 40 to 60 millimetres of rain before Thursday, with a possibility of embedded thunderstorms contributing an additional 10 to 20 millimetres.

Read more:
Vehicle drives into Lake Simcoe, resulting in charges

Environment Canada said the rain is due to a cold front and a moisture-laden low-pressure system that will arrive from the American Midwest.

“All watercourses in our area will experience higher than normal water levels and flows,” the Lake Simcoe Area Conservation Authority said.

“As a result, local streams and rivers will become dangerous, especially in the vicinity of culverts and bridges. Children should be warned to stay away from all watercourses”

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

You May Also Like

Top Stories